Know when to see a fertility specialist for help
When you’re trying to conceive, every month that passes without success can feel like a lifetime. Knowing when to see a fertility specialist can mean the difference between waiting too long to get help, and finally discovering the cause of your infertility so you can get the treatment you need.
Our Orange County fertility doctor often hears women say, “I wish we hadn’t waited so long to come to see you.” That’s because women are born with all the eggs they will ever have, and slowly, through the years, the quantity and quality of those eggs declines. Too many couples wait too long to seek professional help from a reproductive endocrinologist, spending years trying to conceive on their own or pursuing ineffective treatments with little chance of success.
All the while, that biological clock keeps ticking, and egg supply continues to dwindle. Age can have an impact on male fertility, too, and even many young couples are surprised to learn that getting pregnant isn’t as easy as they expected.
When to see a fertility specialist and get tested
If you suspect infertility, it’s important to know when to see a fertility specialist so that you and your partner can begin the testing needed to discover what’s really going on. Based on the findings, your fertility specialist can then create a treatment plan that is most likely to help you achieve your dreams of parenthood.
It’s time to schedule a visit with our Orange County fertility doctor if:
- You’re younger than 35 and have been trying to conceive for one year or longer.
- You’re 35 or older and have been trying to conceive for six months.
- You’ve tried fertility treatment through an OBGYN without success.
- You’ve experienced two or more miscarriages in a row.
- Your menstrual cycles are irregular.
- Your male partner is experiencing ejaculatory problems or impotence.
- You’ve been told you might have trouble getting pregnant due to hereditary issues, hormone disorders, cancer treatment or known medical conditions.
- You are worried about passing a heritable disease down to your baby and want to know your genetic testing options.
- You are interested in surrogacy or third-party reproduction.
If you’re unsure, don’t wait
With infertility, the sooner you seek treatment, the better. If you’re unsure when to see a fertility specialist, we can help. Contact our Orange County fertility center to schedule a consultation.